Follow

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Living in Uganda as a “Muzungu”

I love Uganda with all of my heart, and I am very thankful to be here. Yet, I still think it would have been so much easier if God would have made me black instead of white. Every month I find new challenges with “Living in Uganda as a Muzungu.” I find it interesting-The people here want to be white like me, but I want to be black like them. I sometimes wonder, “Do people really know all that is entailed with having white skin?” I know they think bazungu (more than one white) have everything, but I am finding out that white skin can be a deterrent and not a blessing. I have spent the last week trying to prepare for my wedding on August 15. I could never have guessed how difficult it might be to find and purchase all of the necessary items I would need as a “bride to be” in a country that is not my own, but my wakeup call came even the first day. As I traveled from shop to shop, every retailer automatically raised the prices on every item, and I had to go through quite the effort just to get them to bring it down to a reasonable price. I tried to explain to some of them that I am not a “rich Muzungu,” but I don’t think they believed me. (Although in the spiritual, I am a very rich Muzungu!) I am already uncomfortable with the bartering process, but it really makes it difficult when you cannot trust the people you are bartering with. I thank God I had a Ugandan friend with me who could help me through this challenging experience.

Many times I wish I could be treated like any other Ugandan. I wish people could see me for who I am on the inside and not for my skin color on the outside. It is sometimes difficult for me because everyone is looking to me as someone who has everything and is able to solve all of their problems. There are times I get overwhelmed when I consider I have limited resources and will be unable to offer assistance to all, but I then consider Jesus and how he faced similar pressure. Everyone was looking to him as their Messiah. They expected him to rescue them from their oppression and become their mighty king. Even the disciples were bitterly disappointed when Jesus died because they thought their hero had failed. Yet, their eyes were only directed on what they were seeing in the physical and not on the eternal promises Jesus had spoken to them and the words of God they had read in the scriptures.

I am thankful that Jesus’ death on the cross opened up a doorway of hope. I am thankful that because of the price Jesus paid, I now have hope to carry to the people of Uganda. When I have no job to offer the unemployed, I can always offer them the opportunity to serve the Lord. When I cannot solve their problems, I can lead them to the one who will sustain them through each and every problem. When I have no medicine to give to the sick, I can offer the gift of prayer and healing. When I cannot bring changes to their lives, I can offer the new life Jesus’ can bring. When I run out of money, I will always have the treasure of Jesus to give. When I have nothing else to offer, I always have the gift of love.

I ended my frustrating day today stopping for a man who had been in a motorcycle accident and was now crippled. I looked into his eyes and greeted him, and as our eyes met his whole face lit up. I asked him if I could say a prayer for him, and then I gave him a small coin. As I walked away from that man, I again thanked God for the opportunity to minister in Uganda and prayed for the Lord to make me a blessing to many. It may be challenging to live in Uganda as a Muzungu, but God continues to show me that there is a reason why he sent this muzungu to Africa. My only prayer is that I fulfill every purpose God had for sending me here.

No comments: