Follow

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Do Not Fear...I Will Uphold You.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
This weekend has not been one of my best weekends in Kyenjojo.  Friday night I again found myself ill with stomach issues.  I thought maybe it was the food I ate, but by Saturday night I was finding no relief and knew that I was going to have to see a doctor first thing Sunday morning.  As I woke up this morning, I was a little discouraged-thinking, “God I really don’t want to be sick again.  I am tired of being sick.  I just wish I could stay here without getting sick.”  I was sitting in our car contemplating all of this...when I looked out my window and saw a    person being pushed in a make-shift wheelchair.  I’m not sure the age of the person, but it seemed like he was probably in his teenage years.  As I looked at him and saw his frail legs and small body, it put everything in perspective for me.  I thought, “Here I am complaining about a sickness that will go away in some days, but for that boy he is living with a sickness for the rest of his life.  He has to endure all of the circumstances of Africa with a challenging illness that may never go away.”  My heart felt great sympathy and compassion, and it directed my attention off of my own illness.  I first thanked God that He brought this man into my path today, and then I thanked Him that He has blessed me with a healthy body.  Lastly, I prayed for God to give me strength and a thankful heart in each and every circumstance that comes my way.  
It was not long after this moment that God brought Isaiah 41:10 into my mind.  He reminded me that I did not need to fear....that He was with me...would give me strength...and would uphold me with His righteous right hand.  This verse filled my heart with such peace.  I knew that God had sent it at just the right time.  It reminded me that God was holding me now and would continue to uphold me through every situation I faced.  I was not facing anything alone.  I thank God for the power of His word that is a present help for us in our time of need.  I also thank God that He can bring great comfort and encouragement into our lives just when we need it the most-whether it is a diagnosis of typhoid in Africa or cancer in America or the death of someone dear or any other trial we may face.  We do need to fear....God is with us.

1 comment:

School Street Primitives said...

So glad that your illness was not longlasting, Alissa and that all is well with the baby. As I read about how moved you were by the young boy in the wheelchair, I am not surprised by your reaction, how you allowed God to speak to your heart. Thank you for sharing, we need to see this every time we want to whine about something that may not be as we wish it to be. Love you girl, and know that we lift you up back here in Shippenville!