Follow

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Being Thankful on my First Thanksgiving Away From Home

I'm going to be honest--today was quite a difficult day for me. I did not expect to be so affected by being away from home for this holiday, but from the moment I woke up today I had an huge ache in my heart. This is the first major holiday that I have spent away from home, and I definitely missed being with my family and celebrating this day. As a result of my heart and soul being overwhelmed, I sought to find comfort in my Lord and master. I read through many Psalms and prayed to the Lord about the heaviness of my heart. One of the Psalms I was reading was talking about the Lord being the only feast the Psalm writer wanted. I was praying "Lord, please help me to remember that you and following your will is much more important than any Thanksgiving feast I might share with my family. Help me to desire you more than anything. May you always be what I long for most. May I find satisfaction in only you."

One of the beautiful things about being in a country so far from home and living solely among people from a different culture is that you are constantly being forced to draw your strength and encouragement from the Lord. I do not expect any of the people here to understand how I am feeling on this Thanksgiving Day. (Many of them do not even have their parents to celebrate a holiday with, and most of them have never even celebrated Christmas.) I know that I am living in a whole different world than I am accustomed to. More importantly, I realize that Jesus is the only one who truly understands the adjustments I am facing and the feelings that sometimes overwhelm me. I am very thankful that He is with me and that I can find rest, peace, and hope in Him. I know that I have to keep my eyes on Him, and He will sustain me through it all. I am confident He will never fail me.

Another thing that brought me comfort on this day was contemplating how many things I have to be thankful for-even in the midst of my loneliness. When you see and evaluate the neediness of others, it always puts your life in perspective. I am very thankful that I even have a loving family to miss, and I'm extremely thankful I have both of my parents alive. I have been visiting many children in the past month who have no parents living because they both died of AIDS when the children were young. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have neither one of my parents alive to raise me. I know that there has to be a large ache in these children's hearts because they either spent very few or no precious moments with their parents. I am thankful that I have been given the opportunity to celebrate the holidays with my family over the years and build beautiful memories on those days, which I can now look back and reflect on. There are many children who are never given, nor will ever be given, the opportunity to celebrate a holiday and enjoy its festivities. I am thankful that I have shared an abundance of food on Thanksgiving Day throughout the years. I realize that for many people in Uganda having an abundance of food is an impossibility. Their prayer is to have enough food to feed their family for one day. Finally, I am truly thankful that I have been given the opportunity to serve others in Africa. I know that God has sent me here, and I count myself as truly privileged to give up my comforts to improve the lives of others. I know that my life will never be the same because I have moved to Africa, but it is my prayer that the lives of many African children and people will also never be the same because I have moved to Africa. I believe that their lives will be made better because I have come to minister the love, hope, and compassion of Jesus to them.

I know that the periods of loneliness and homesickness will come and go, but I am truly grateful that the promises of the Lord will always remain true, steadfast, and unfailing. I am thankful that everything God purposes to do in me and through me will come to pass, and I am thankful that hope will be brought to Kyenjojo.

1 comment:

mommy to many said...

praying for you! i know how you feel. holidays are the hardest, but youare right in your thinking...GOd has you right where you should be, right where he has placed you! you do have so much to be thankful for!! keep in the Word and his joy and peace will direct your thoughts and ways!! I will be lifting you up every day during the month of December!! some day you will hear the words, "well done my daughter, well done now enter in"
love you!!